The Ferndale School Board has decided to ask voters to approve a levy to support school programs for the 2021 and 2022 calendar years, at a rate of $1.5/$1000 of assessed property value. This is a reduction from our current 2020 rate of $2.17/$1000 of assessed property value.
The Levy Pays For…
- Administrative Assistants– Secretaries at each school
- Counselors- Counselors at every school
- Prof Techs-Family Community Coordinators, Communication Specialists, and Native and Latino Student Advisors
- Para-educators– Support staff that supervise recess, lunch room, loading/unloading buses, 1:1 supports for students, group learning supports, Library, Resource room, Food Service, Special Education, reading/writing/math benchmark testing, Computer labs/tech support, Career Center support. Staff supports preschool, K-12 as well as Transitions programs for 18-21 year old students.
Extracurricular Opportunities for Students
- Athletics– The Entire Extracurricular Coaches and Advisor Schedule(Except for Contracted days) This is all salaries/stipends for extracurricular coaches, advisors, and Department chair stipends ($400,000) In essence, it will eliminate our athletic program and many other extracurricular activities.
- Clubs- Robotics, STEM, Chess, ASL, QSA, etc
- Music- Band/ Orchestra/ Choir
- Theater- Multiple Plays a year at Middle and High School
- Field Trips– All district support for field trips and activity bus runs to and from the Boys and Girls club ($124,000) are supported by the levy. This does not include bus runs to and from school.
- Maintain class sizes- Without the levy, our class sizes will increase to 30+ in grades 4-12.
- School supplies– ($65,000 per year)
- 8-period schedule- This provides elective classes for students at the high school.
- Professional Development- Staff Travel except what is paid by grants, Associated Student Body or Career and Technical Education ($58,000 per year)
- Computers for students for grades 4-12
- Annual subscriptions to online programs and curriculum
- Daily student access to computers for learning